Old Settlers Cemetery – The End
The Old Settlers Cemetery is located on the west side of Riverside Dr. (formerly North Jefferson Street), two blocks north of Main Street, at the corner of North Street.
Old Settlers Cemetery – the name evokes the end of an era – a collection of burial plots which contain the earthly remains of the early settlers of Waterford’s countryside. Along with the graves are stories that are lost forever. The stories that were told of the journey made to get here – those of who were brave enough to have traveled over long distances, endured hardships related to weather, hard physical labor, lack of food, little or no money, isolation – all in search of a “better” life.
After the original pioneer settlers, the stories told were usually related to the contrasts of then and now – how hard it was back in the day compared to today. However, not all stories were of hardships. They had their good times – as well, socializing with the neighbors, or being part of community celebrations. One anecdotal story that has survived relates to the Great Wolf Hunt of 1838:
“In the midst of all the hard work and struggles, the settlers indulged in many amusements. The wolf hunt of 1838 was one, when the settlers armed themselves with guns, clubs, scythes, dinner horns and pitchforks and went in pursuit of wolves and wolf scalps. It is said that the hunters, under competent officers, endeavored to close in on the entire township of Waterford. Concentrating their forces, however, they finally surrounded a tract of forest, every man watching for his game, and finally, all gathering in the center of the woods, without encountering a single solitary wolf. As a wolf hunt it was, therefore, not a success; but returning home over the “big marsh,” on the west side of Tishargan Lake they overhauled a wayfarer, journeying to Elkhorn. As luck would prevail, he had a cargo of whisky aboard. This was game the hunters could appreciate! The driver had turned his horses loose and was reposing. The party, under the direction of their officers, formed a hollow square around the wagon. Details of further proceedings are unnecessary to wit. Weariness, as you might call it, overcame many of the hunters, and the sequel gave celebrity to the Great Wolf Hunt of 1838.
It is said that there were scolding wives in Waterford, for a considerable time thereafter, and that the traveler, who had been thus defrauded, successfully obtained the redress for his wrongs, to which in equity and sober conscience, he was justly entitled!”10
Some succeeded in becoming very successful financially and attained high social stature while others were happy with their plot of land and a “free” lifestyle. Regardless of their stature in the community, the Village Cemetery, as it was originally known, would be one of the final burial grounds for many Village and Township residents. It is a testament to the many that succumbed to the constant threat of disease, accidents, complications of childbirth, and frequent infant mortality.
The word, “cemetery”, comes from the Greek word, κοιμητήριον, which means “sleeping place”.1 Written references are made to, The Final Resting Place, Eternal Home, Graveyard, Burial Grounds, or perhaps other names. One common element is that it is the place where the dead are buried.
Virtually all societies consider a cemetery as hallowed ground, a place that is to be revered and respected. Unfortunately, some choose to desecrate these sites perhaps because they are “creepy” or want to show an act of defiance against death. Some countries have burial sites that are thousands of years old and are still in good condition because their culture has a very high respect for ancestors. Many pioneer cemeteries in the U.S. have not been so fortunate and are forgotten in time – overgrown by weeds, populated with trees sprouting from windblown seeds, and ravages of the environment. As the cemeteries aged, no associations or descendants were left to care for the deteriorating sites. Fortunately, today there is a resurgence by volunteers to restore these long-forgotten sites to a condition of respect.
The Wisconsin Historical Society has designated all grave sites are hallowed ground and are not to be disturbed unless under certain conditions with permits required – but maintenance is encouraged. Provisions regarding abandoned cemeteries are covered under Wisconsin State Statute 157.115.
Grave markers in America have a history all on their own. In the 1800s, or earlier, common grave markers may have been made of wood – cheap to make, but would have long since deteriorated leaving many unmarked graves. More permanent markers, as found in the northeastern United States dating back to the 1700s, took the form of engraved slate holding up well in the environment. The engraved limestone markers of the 1800s, which are common here, are becoming hard to read. It is common to see stone obelisks for a family plot, with each gravestone marked with first names only.
Today, plots are marked with high-quality granite gravestones, laser engraved with decorative text fonts, and embedded glass pictures of the decedent – providing a snapshot in time of their occupation or beloved hobby for which they were known. Common gravestone symbolism used today are found at this site.11
Epitaphs, such as “gone but not forgotten”, “died too soon”, and even “kicked by a horse”, evoke a thought of how the deceased met his or her demise. Some of the old epitaphs expressed the loss of a loved one and their belief in a higher power. Some gravestones have an epitaph, while many just list the name of the deceased, perhaps a relationship to another, i.e., son or wife of, with the date of birth and death, and sometimes their age at death.
For genealogy or history enthusiasts, names and death dates can be a link back to newspapers where an obituary or death notice may be found. That thread was very helpful in developing information on this page.
The Story of Old Settlers Cemetery
Old Settlers Cemetery, originally known as the Village Cemetery, is purported to have been started by Levi Barnes, one of the two Village founders . It is reported that the first burial at the site took place in 1837 and was Hiram Page, Jr.?, son of Hiram Page and Sally Jane Barnes Page, Grandson of Levi and Lucretia Barnes. The site is only a block west of the original Chapman-Barnes log cabin. There was no established cemetery in the area at the time. Also, it was common for the pioneers to bury loved ones on their own land. The Old Settlers Cemetery was the primary burial ground for the area, so it is assumed that most were interred here during the early years of the Village, from 1837 to 1857. The Rochester Cemetery could have been an alternative burial site since it was established in 1842.
A complete history of the land transfer is recorded here (link).
In 1842, the land was co-owned by S.E. Chapman and his father-in-law, Levi Barnes. In June, they sold a one-third interest in a large parcel to Samuel Russ, another son-in-law of Barnes, who then hired surveyor Moses Vilas to map out the Village of Waterford.
1843 Survey Map of Waterford Showing the Cemetery, Racine County Register of Deeds Plat Book.
In 1843, the survey was updated with additions of village blocks on the east side and a note on the survey denoting a one-acre parcel to be used as the public cemetery.
No documents have been uncovered to verify the official transfer of property for a cemetery, but the search continues. It would have been a common burial ground by that time since the settlement was established in late 1836 and many deaths occurred before 1843.
As originally laid out, the cemetery would have been at the north end of Jefferson Street. In 1849, the plank road, which was Jefferson Street in the village, was opened and cut through the eastern 66 feet of the cemetery. That would reduce the size of the cemetery to about 60 percent of its original survey size (approximately two-thirds acre). No records have been found about disturbing graves during the construction.
A law was passed and published in the Wisconsin State Journal on March 30, 1870, designating the Village responsible for the custody and care of the grounds along with other requirements. Apparently, the “Board of supervisors”, as referred to in the late 1800s, ignored the responsibility as the property was left to deteriorate.
By 1849, Old Settlers Cemetery was less than an acre in size which would eventually fill up. Oakwood Cemetery, located about one-mile northwest of the Village, was started in 1857 with S.E. Chapman as one of its trustees. As stated above, the Rochester Cemetery was established in 1842, both of which would provide more burial space for the future.
Due to its deteriorated condition in the late 1800’s, many Old Settler’s graves were being re-interred to surrounding cemeteries including, Oakwood, Rochester, St. Thomas and, St. Peter’s. Neglect degraded the sacred site over time but vandals seemed to finish the job. Today, passersby would hardly recognize it as a burial ground unless they happen to look at the broken gravestones lying flat under a few trees or see the lone gravestone buried in the wild raspberry bushes on the south west end, reading– Eber Sawyer, Dec. 12, 1854.
Mischievous behavior has contributed to the general neglect of the site for many years. Stories from past generations tell of toppling gravestones and using them to slide down the hill to the pond. In addition, cracked tombstones were arbitrarily cast into the adjacent pond just to watch a splash. And so, the once hallowed ground had become another forgotten pioneer cemetery. Today, a group of volunteers are making plans for its restoration to honor the village’s local ancestors and respect their final resting place.
A brief biography of a deceased person is called an obituary. They are usually published in a newspaper; some are very brief while others are quite lengthy depending on the person’s stature in the community. Reading through these can be very insightful if genealogy or historical research is involved.
Obituaries are tributes made to families that were touched by the death of loved ones – loving children were too young to be productive; mothers – either from childbirth or disease; husbands -from disease or accidents, the breadwinners who provided sustenance for the family; grandparents – providing as caregivers for the working members of the family; and friends – those who were counted on for emotional support.
For people of community stature, an historical narrative would probably be included as well as acknowledging what family members survived and which ones have died. An ordinary farmer might have just a one-liner in the newspaper acknowledging his or her death and cause.
It seems like there was always plenty of grief to go around. But, being pioneers, they accepted the risk and relied on their strong religious beliefs to get them through the death event.
Disease, Epidemics, and Accidents
It is interesting to note that not all reports of past epidemics were believed at the time or the effects were minimized, much like the 2020 Covid-19 pandemic today. A July 9, 1886 article from the Green Bay Press Gazette, and rebuttal in the July 24, 1886 Waterford Post, provides a glimpse:
Apparently, The Milwaukee newspapers ran a similar story.
Curtis Barnes Smallpox Death – Alice Barnes Tindal, June 27, 1954, Racine Historical Society
Obituaries of those who died during the epidemics told of them being taken by a horse drawn wagon at night to the Old Settlers Cemetery to be buried as quickly as possible. Imagine the clip-clop sound of a single horse breaking the silence of the night – the rattling of a wooden coffin in the back of a buckboard wagon – knowing that it was probably someone that had succumbed to the disease du jour – only to wake in the morning to find out who was taken by this awful plague. Waterford was a small village which makes it almost certain that the deceased was known by every resident. It was a frightening time for all who survived, asking the question – am I, or one of my family, next?
Once they got to the cemetery, they had to hand dig a grave by lantern, or moonlight, with a pick and shovel, perhaps in frozen ground, and in the harsh elements of the day. Prayers were said after they buried the remains of their loved one and a marker was placed on the grave. Upon returning to their home, grief would have to be expressed in emotional ways and would be permanently embedded in their memory.
Scarlet Fever epidemic as noted in the Burlington Free Press, September, 4, 1873.
1878 Mortality Table for Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The History of Racine ad Kenosha Counties, p.2445. Milwaukee’s population was 72,000.
Disease was widespread and spared no one, regardless of age or physical fitness. Influenza, then known as ague or the grippe, would wipe out many and occurred virtually every year – some epidemics were deadlier than others. The mortality schedules of the day showed causes of death as consumption (today, known as tuberculosis) and convulsions, instead of ague (today, known as influenza)6. It is now known that high fever can result from influenza and can cause convulsions. Pneumonia was not identified until 1881, yet it exhibited similar symptoms as a bad case of ague. Others are just listed as “Old Age”. Perhaps with today’s technology, the list of “causes of death” may look quite different.
Cholera, Smallpox, Diphtheria and Typhoid… are just a few diseases that would break out from time to time and all that pioneers could do was to wait it out and hope that they would not become infected. Research shows that there were, at times, several epidemics occurring in the country at the same time. Travel was relatively limited back then which tended to keep epidemics to regional outbreaks.
The following is a list of disease outbreaks in Wisconsin in the 19th century according to The History of Racine and Kenosha Counties:5
1838 – Smallpox.
1841 – Yellow Fever – Wikipedia.com.
1844 – Malaria.
1846 – Malaria.
1847 – Cholera.
1854 – Cholera.
1858 – Scarlet Fever.
– Smallpox epidemic – Burlington Standard Press, Aug. 20, 1984.
1864 – Diphtheria – Burlington Standard Press, March 2, 1864.
1865 – Diphtheria.
1866 – Cholera – Healthline.com.
1873 – Scarlet Fever – Burlington Free Press, Sept. 4, 1873.
1886 – Typhoid – Waterford Post, July 24, 1886 and Green Bay Press Gazette, July 9, 1886.
Medications, usually home-made, were minimally effective and science had not advanced to the point of proper diagnosis and efficient treatment. Examples from The Letters of Edwin Bottomley2 written in 1847 follows:
A beer remedy for the flu.
Gun powder and tallow remedy for scurvy.
A first-person narrative follows family members living in English Settlement, about four miles southeast of Waterford, becoming infected with Typhoid fever in 1847, detailed in the Bottomley letters:2
The publication, U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules Index, 1850-18808 has a listing of those who died in the year previous to the census along with their age and the cause of death. Only three years are listed for Waterford but it is interesting to note the percentage of deaths of those 2 and younger. Table by R.E. Gariepy, Sr.
The following article is re-typed from the April 26, 1881 Burlington Free Press, describing a tragic drowning death during the flood of 1881. The Waterford Post did not print it since its building was flooded during the incident.
“Sad Death of Miss Betsey Olson (reported by Waterford correspondent)”
“A gloom has been cast over our village by the sudden death of one of our brightest and most promising young ladies, Miss Betsey Olson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Halvor Olson, of this village, aged 18 years.
The facts, as far as we can learn them, are these:
Miss Olson, who had been attending the Rochester Seminary for the past few months, started last Thursday morning, in a boat, accompanied by Messrs. Fred. Heitkemper and Chas. Noll, Jr. Her parents did all in their power to persuade her from going but as she had not missed a day, she was determined to go. They reached Rochester in safety, landed near the residence of Mr. Geo. Sharp, from whence Miss Olson at once repaired for the Seminary.”
“The boys went on as far as the bridge, and while there, Miss Olson in company with Carrie Moe, from Waterford (who was also attending school at Rochester), came down to the bridge and finally persuaded the boys to take them for a boat ride. They had gone but a very short distance when a cake of ice struck the boat and frightened the girls who attempted to jump and catch hold of the bridge. In this they failed and the boat was capsized, the occupants were carried under the bridge and down the stream, sinking once or twice beneath the rushing tide.”
“When they arose to the surface below the bridge, Mr. Heitkemper seized the young lady nearest him, which happened to be Miss Moe, and after struggling in the water for some minutes, at length reached the shore in safety. Mr. Noll strove heroically to save Miss Olson, but she was thrown further out into the swift rushing current of the river, and was swept beyond his reach. Finding it useless to attempt to rescue her by swimming after her, Mr. Noll made for the shore which he reached after a hard struggle, too much exhausted to make a second effort. Mr. W. D. White, an invalid, taking in the situation at a glance, plunged into the turbulent stream and soon brought the body of the unfortunate young lady to shore, just above Russell’s mill.”
“She was immediately taken to the residence of Mr. Robertson, and Drs. Lane and G. F. Newell were at once summoned. Dr. Lane soon arrived and did all in his power to resuscitate the drowned girl. He was soon after joined by Dr. Newell and both did all that medical skill could suggest to restore her to life, but all to no avail. She never regained consciousness, and only one feeble pulsation of the heart was observed by the physicians after she was taken from the water. She was brought to this place by team, and carried across the river in a boat, by J. W. Jourdan to her home on the east side.”
The funeral was held on Saturday at 2 o’clock p.m. at her home, Rev. H. B. Lounsbury officiating. At 3 o’clock the body was brought across to the west side of the river in a boat by J. W. Jordan, and put in charge of the Waterford Division of the Sons of Temperance. The division formed in procession at their hall with I. L. Hoover as conductor and marched to the river and as the body was nearing the shore joined in singing, “Shall we gather at the River,” after which the procession marched to the M. E. Church, where the regular form of burial service of the Sons of Temperance was held.”
“The church was filled to its utmost capacity. After the service at the church, the body was taken to the cemetery just north of the village, and we laid our beloved sister in her last earthly resting place.
At the time of her death Miss Olson was Recording Scribe of the Waterford Division of the Sons of Temperance and showed herself a worthy member, and her loss will be deeply felt not only by the Division, but by the community at large.
Her Sabbath School class was also in the procession with the mourning lodge, also a number from Rochester Seminary and Division. It was one of the most solemn and impressive funeral services we ever listened to or witnessed.
The heart-felt sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved parents in this their hour of sad affliction.”
List of Known Burials
Since there are few marked graves at this site, research through newspapers clips, historical societies’ records, books and online sources was necessary and has resulted in a partial list of probable burials. In total, 67 burials have been identified to date and the research continues.
The following 19 names are gleaned from the FindAGrave.com website.3
Eber Sawyer, (1817-1854) age 37. This gravestone is still standing and is in excellent condition on the southwest part of the cemetery.
Eber Sawyer was born in New York. He was the son of Robert Sawyer, a Civil War veteran who owned a homestead adjacent to the cemetery. He married Abigail Austin (1825-1905). Per the 1850 census of Norway, Wisconsin, they had three sons: John, age 6; Robert, age 4 and Eber, a baby.
Everyone was born in New York except Eber who was born in Wisconsin. Thus, the family came to Wisconsin between 1846-1850. In 1860, Abigail was living in Norway, with her children: John, 16; Robert 13; Eber,10; Charles, 8 and Mary, 5. Her real estate was valued at $2,500 and personal $500. In 1870, she was still in Norway with her five children. Her real estate was $6,000 and personal $600. In 1900, Abigail was 80 years old and living with her son Robert, 53, and his family in Waterford. In 1905 she resided with her son Robert, 60; and his family in Waterford.
Agnes Mesick, (1835-1859), age 24. Wife of G. Mesick
Philip Mitsch, (1856-1863) age 7.
Son of Philip & Johanna
Feb 19, 1863
age 7 yrs., 4 mo.
The 1860 census for Waterford shows Philip living with his parents John P. Mitsch, 36, Johanna (Noll), 30, and sister Louisa, 3. Father Philip was a laborer with real estate worth $900 and personal estate worth $50. Other members of the household were Charles Noll, 24, and his wife Joanne, 21. Charles was a carpenter. The four adults were all born in Baden, Wurtemberg, Germany and all the children were born in Wisconsin.
Lucretia “Gretta” Major, (1810-1844) age 34.
To the memory of
Lucretia, wife of
J. C. Major
who died 18 Dec. 18,
Age 34 yr.
Hiram Page, (Born in New York 1809-1881) age 72.
The 1850 census shows Hiram, age 38, was a farmer in Rochester, Wisconsin. He lived with his sons Horace 16, George 12, Levi 10 and Charles 4.
1860 census Hiram, age 48, was a farmer in Rochester and lived with his wife Jane and sons Horace, 24, George 22, Levi 19, Charles 14 and Philo 10 (2nd marriage).
1870 census Hiram, age 62, lived with wife Jane 60, son Philo 21, and granddaughter Mary 5.
Sally Jane Barnes Page,(1812-1849) age 28.
First wife of Hiram Page. Daughter of Levi and Lucretia Barnes. Five children, Horace, Hiram, George, Levi and Charles. She died from Typhoid fever.
Hiram Page(Jr.?) No gravestone. Infant son, died September 1, 1837. Listed as first burial in Old Settlers Cemetery. Son of Hiram Page and Sally Jane Barnes Page, Grandson of Levi and Lucretia Barnes.
Jane Ann Robinson Rice, (1826-1860) age 34.
Born 1826 in Vermont, Jane married Edwin A. Rice on June 9, 1852 in Racine. Edwin was born Oct. 10, 1816 in New York. His occupation was a carpenter/joiner. Their only child was Clarence Edwin Rice (1854-1943).
Jane Rice is listed on the 1860 Mortality Schedule for Waterford as died from consumption (tuberculosis-1 yr.).
John F. Beedle, (1787-1850) age 63.
John Beedle was a farmer and died of consumption. The Beedle’s had eight children:
Joseph L. (1818-1911)
Lelah J. (1821-unknown)
Cristopher Yates (1823-1915)
Mary Elizabeth (1835-unknown)
Per the 1855 Wisconsin census taken June 1, widow Mrs. Beedle lived with a male and female in Waterford.
James Ricker, (1821-1852) age 31.
James Ricker was born in 1821 in Vermont per the 1850 census of Waterford, WI. He was a 28-year-old farmer and lived with the Joseph Caldwell family and eight others.
Sarah Anna Field,(1834-1856) age 22.
Wife of Charles R. Field.
Eben Flint, (died June 25) age Unknown.
The 1860 and 1870 census show Eben Flint as a farmer living in the Rochester area. His inferred wife’s name is Eliza. He is listed as 77 and she as 67 in 1870.
Eliza Flint, (Dates unknown).
The 1860 and 1870 census show Eliza Flint as Eben Flint’s inferred wife’s name. Eben is listed as a farmer living in the Rochester area. She is listed as 67 and he as 77 in 1870.
Lockwood, (Dates unknown).
Probably the gravestone or family plot marker of Alfred Lockwood who was born in 1823 in New York. He emigrated to Waterford in 1836 as one of the earliest pioneers. He died in 1878-79 per the minutes of the Old Settlers Society meeting of June 12, 1879.
The 1860 census shows Alfred, age 37, was a carpenter and joiner. His wife, Lucy, was 33 and they had three daughters: Adelia A., 13; Alice R., 11, and Florence 9 months.
In 1870, Alfred was living in Waterford with his wife Lucy, age 43, and daughters Alice, 26, and Florence, 9. The 1875 census for the State of Wisconsin shows Alfred living in Waterford with one male and two females in the household. In 1880 widow Lucy, age 53, was living with her daughter Alice, age 30, and son-in-law George Nucomb, age 41, in Waterford.
Maria Catherine Krummenauer, Family gravestone at Oakwood (1840-1853) age 13.
Re-interred at Oakwood cemetery. Maria Catherine was the only child of Charles Krummenauer. Charles was born July 21, 1812 and died March 27, 1895 in Norway, Wisconsin. His wife, Maria, was born December 27, 1804 and died May 15, 1875. Both Charles and his wife Maria are buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Waterford. Charles was a very successful farmer in Norway and left a sizable estate when he died in 1895.
William Colbo, No Gravestone (1823-28-June, 1883).
Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Kolbow (Colbo) was born July18, 1823 in Mollenbeck, Mecklenburg, Deutschland (Germany). On March 16, 1854 the family departed from Hamburg, Germany and arrived in New York on May 19, 1854. Along with the parents were their children: Maria Dorthea (1849-1860) and Caroline Maria Dorothea (1852-1910). The Colbos had a son, Johann Fredrich who was born and died in Germany in 1847.
After arriving in Wisconsin four more children were born: Fredrick (1856-1930), William (1858-1912), Karl Fred Wilhelm Hermann (Charles)
(1862-1888) and Johan Adolph Friedrich August (John) (1863-1943).
The 1860 census shows the family of farm laborer William Kelba living in Waterford with his wife and 4 children. In 1870 the name changed to William Culberson and he was living in Norway, Wisconsin with his wife and 5 children. His real estate was valued at $2,000 and personal estate at $300. In 1880 the name was again changed to William Colbo and he lived in Norway with his wife and sons Fredrick and Charles.
Sophia Colbo, No gravestone (1819-1884).
Fredricka Sophia Kroger was born Aug. 28, 1819 in Brandenburg, Germany. On April 16, 1849 she married Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Kolbow (Colbo) in Dambeck-Parchim, Mecklenburg, Deutschland (Germany).
Abbie M., No gravestone (Sept., 1876-Feb. 1877 – 5 mo.).
List of Re-interments
The following list of names are known to have been buried at Old Settlers Cemetery and have been re-interred at other cemeteries as noted. A survey has been made of the Oakwood Cemetery gravestones and listings on Find-A-Grave.com to determine the death dates. Since land for the Oakwood Cemetery was not purchased until May, 1857, any tombstones with earlier death dates are considered as re-interments from the Old Settlers Cemetery. Other cemeteries are still being surveyed for additional information.
Andrew Braddock Jones, (1817-1853) age 36. Re-interred at Oakwood. A. B. Jones, as he was known, was an early pioneer from Elba, New York and came to Waterford along with his younger brother, Eli Moses, by 18429. In 1843, Eli purchased several large pieces of property in Waterford consisting of; Blocks 8 and 11, which is bounded by Main, Washington, Jefferson and Water streets, and Block 21, which consists of 15.63 acres. It is the land north of and behind the stores on east Main – from the Fox River to Milwaukee Street, north to the present marina. The purchase included water rights.
The brothers built a Mill and a distillery on the east side of the river. A concrete abutment is still in the stream, perhaps as part on the dam where the mill was located. On March 23, 1847, Eli sold all his property to his brother Andrew and joined his father in Janesville for a short time. Eli then returned to his home town of Elba, New York where he spent the remainder of his years farming. He died in 1882.
In addition to the land purchased from his brother, Andrew purchased the southeast corner lot between the present day Enve’ Salon & Day Spa and North Water street in 1843. After he bought Eli’s Block 8 property, he built a brick home across Main Street on the adjacent property west of the Mealy Funeral Home. It is mentioned in several publications that he planted the remainder of the blocks with apple trees and it became known as Jones Apple Orchard. It is unknown if the original home is under the current siding on the home that is currently there.
A.B. Jones and his wife, Lodema, had two children, Amos and Emeroth, who died at very young ages. Unfortunately, one of the pioneer diseases took the father at a relatively young age. Lodema continued to manage the estate for about 10 years until she married John Groat. A.B. Jones Last Will and Testament stipulated, in the event of re-marriage, she would have to transfer two-thirds of the real estate to his sister’s children, whose married names were Polly Bemis and Loranda Whitney. Block 21 was subsequently subdivided and became known as the Bemis and Whitney subdivision on all future land documents. Reference is made to the preceding map.
Child Adams – No gravestone. Records indicate infant death in 1853.Re-interred at Oakwood.
Diana Ann Boughton – (1823-1850) age 27. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Benoni Buttles – (1804-1856) age 52. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Mary Gibbs – (1771-1849) age 78. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Eliza Groat – (1816-1857) age 41. Wife of John Groat. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Nancy Hulburd – (1826-1850) 24 yrs. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Amos B. Jones – (1843-1845) age 2. Son of A.B. Jones. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Emeroth J Jones – (1847-1850) age 3. Daughter of A.B. Jones. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Dwight Moe – (1847-1851) age 4. Son of Charles and Emily Moe. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Willet Moe – (1851) Infant. Son of Charles and Emily Moe. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Alexander Hamilton Morgan, Jr. – (1850-1852) age 2. Re-interred at Oakwood.
DL and LL Noll (April 12, 1842) Apparent infant twins. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Esther Jones Palmer – (1823-1847) age 24. First wife of Nelson Palmer. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Rachel Palmer – (1781-1852) age 71. Mother of Nelson Palmer. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Frost Powell – (1768-1847) age 79. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Asa Powell – (1814-1850) age 36. Son of Frost and Rebecca Powell. Re-interred at Oakwood.
David C Sproat – (1795-1869) age 74. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Sarah Sproat – (1800-1874) age 74. Wife of David Sproat. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Edward Sproat – (1829-1846) age 17. Son of David Sproat. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Esther Sproat – (d.1847) Re-interred at Oakwood.
Milton Weage – (1847-1847) age 2 mos. Son of Harvey Weage. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Albert Weage – (d.1851) age 1 yr.- 2 mos. Son of Harvey Weage. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Hester Wilde – (1854-1856) age 2. Re-interred at Oakwood.
Anson Willard – (1787-1850) age 63. Re-interred at Oakwood.
William Williams – (1788-1856) age 68. Re-interred at Oakwood.
The following names were mentioned in newspaper articles or historical documents as being originally interred here but not included above:
Samuel E. Chapman (1808-1872 age 64. Re-interred at Rochester June, 1897. Details on Founder’s page.
Harriet Barnes Chapman (1807-1885) age 76. Re-interred at Rochester, June, 1897. Details on Founder’s page.
Freddie D. Chapman, (1867) Infant son of Chauncey and Emily, Re-interred at Rochester.
Gertie Chapman, (1868) Infant daughter of Chauncey and Emily Re-interred at Rochester.
(2 other Chapman related per the Burlington Free Press, June 30, 1897).
Levi Barnes (1774-1849) age 75. Re-interred at Rochester. Details on Founder’s page.
Lewey Barnes, wife of Levi (1784-1839) age 55. Re-interred at Rochester. Details on Founder’s page.
Curtis Deforrest Barnes (1823-1859) age 36. Re-interred at Rochester. Son of Hiram Barnes.
Samuel C. Russ (1800-1860) age 60. Re-interred at Rochester – Gravestone shows “Rust”. It is unclear why the tombstone for the Russ’ is inscribed as RUST. All legal documents with their name are spelled as RUSS. Details on Founder’s page.
Adeline Barnes Russ (1809-1863) age 54. Re-interred at Rochester – Gravestone shows “Rust”. Details on Founder’s page.
Stephen Russ (1844-1863) age 19. Re-interred at Rochester – Gravestone shows “Rust”.
Betsey Olson (1863–1881) age 18. Lydia Carr Remembers Waterford Post Jan. 8, 1929.
Joshua Woodhead – Re-interred at Oakwood Lydia Carr Remembers Waterford Post Jan. 8, 1929. Details on Heritage Homes page.
Libbie Woodhead – Re-interred at Oakwood Lydia Carr Remembers Waterford Post Jan. 8, 1929.Details on Heritage Homes page.
Lewis D. Merrill – Re-interred at Oakwood Lydia Carr Remembers Waterford Post Jan. 8, 1929.
Albert Foat (1862-1865) age 3. Re-interred at Rochester.
Col. Hans Heg – (1829-1863) age 33. Re-interred to Norway Cemetery. Waterford Post January 13, 1921.
The following names are mentioned as being buried here in a June 27, 1954 presentation to the Racine county Historical Society made by Alice Barnes Tindall, (1883-1975) the great, great, granddaughter of Levi Barnes. The names are as she remembered as she walked through the cemetery in her earlier years. The names are noted as “above” if they are already accounted for.
Levi Barnes – above
Lewey Barnes – above
Samuel E, Chapman – above
Harriet Chapman – above
Samuel Russ – above
Adeline Russ – above
Foats – Unknown – probably re-interred at the family plot at Rochester.
Sutton’s; possibly Jonathon (1802-1871) age 68; Aleck (1836-1861) age 25; Edward (1841-1862) age 21. Re-interred at Rochester.
Temples – unknown
Mitschs – above
Eben Sawyer– above
Berger’s – unknown
Hiram Barnes – above
Joshua Woodhead – above
Alfred Lockwood – above
Hiram Page – above
Sally Jane Page – above
Lewis D. Merrill – above
Researchers: Robert E. Gariepy, Sr. and Judy Gambrel
NOTE: Should the reader have further documentation to enhance the content of this web page, please contact the Lead Researcher firstname.lastname@example.org. We are particularly interested in pictures or historic artifacts that may be shared. Credit will be given.
- An English Settler in Pioneer Wisconsin – The Letters of Edwin Bottomley, 1842- 1850, Wisconsin Historical Society, Collections XXV, 1918.
- Findagrave.com .
- Waterford Post, articles listed above.
- History of Racine and Kenosha Counties pp.235-245.
- Ancestry.com – Mortality Tables.
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules Index, 1850-1880.
- WI 1842 State Census Index, p. 26.
- Commemorative Biological Record of Prominent and Representative Men in Racine County, J.H.Beers & Co., 1906.
- Headstone Symbolism.